You must have heard that solar energy is great for the environment, but have you ever wondered why or how?
In this article, we’ve highlighted some environmental benefits of solar energy, to enable you better understand the impact that renewable energy has.
- Increase in Energy Security: The International Energy Agency, an international intergovernmental organization had stated in its ‘Solar Energy Perspective: Executive Summary’ in 2011 that, “The development of affordable, inexhaustible and clean solar energy technologies will have huge longer-term benefits. It will increase countries’ energy security through reliance on an indigenous, inexhaustible and mostly import-independent resource, enhance sustainability, reduce pollution, lower the costs of mitigating global warming, and keep fossil fuels pieces lower than otherwise”.
- It Is a Renewable Energy Source: Solar energy is truly a clean and reliable energy source that is available every day of the year and all over the world.
- Environmental Impacts: It reduces pollution and emissions in the natural environment. It does not generate noise pollution or any waste because there are no greenhouse gases causing emission. It also has the capacity to reduce global warming and conserve wildlife, creating an environmentally friendly future.
- Reduces or Eliminates Electricity Bills: Since solar energy will be able to meet your energy needs, there is a tendency for your energy bills to be reduced or eliminated totally. This, in turn, gives you energy independence and control over rising energy costs.
- Low Maintenance Cost: Generally, solar energy does not require a lot of maintenance. Solar equipment comes with many years of warranty and lasts a long time.
- Diverse Energy Application: Solar energy can serve different purposes such as producing electricity and heat, for water distillation, to power satellites in space and even power cars.
- It reduces dependence on fossil fuels and imported oils.
- Greater Development of Solar Energy Technologies: Innovations and improvements are on the rise to increase the effectiveness of solar equipment and triple solar energy output.
- Returns On Your Solar Investment: There are cases where excess solar power can be sold out.
- Job Creation: Solar energy creates job opportunities for solar equipment industries such as solar panel manufacturers, inverter industries and solar installation experts. This, in turn, improves the economy.
- Ease of Location Installation: Solar installations can be made anywhere.
- Storage: Solar batteries can be used to store extra energy for use at a later time in the day.
- Safety: Solar energy is safer than conventional electrical energy.
- Property Valuation: Solar energy can elevate the value or price of the property on where it is installed.
- More Resilient: Weather conditions like thunderstorms, lightning and heavy downpour can take out electricity poles and transformers; but solar energy generating owners can be insured against these weather issues.
- Saves Water: Since water shortage is being experienced all over the world and water is an important part of conventional electricity generation, solar will serve as an excellent alternative.
- Cost: Zero energy production costs.
- ROI: It saves money on the long run.
As a leading solar energy company in Nigeria, we know that solar energy is a powerful source of energy. It is one of the fastest-growing and cheap sources of energy and will undoubtedly be a significant part of future global energy sources.